Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Three R's


The Three R's by Ruth Beechick is my latest buy for learning how to teach reading, writing and math. This book is so simple that I am not sure I can even give it a review. I was able to read it in a couple of sittings; which is wonderful being as busy as I am. What else did I like about this book?
Her approach to teaching children to read "later" rather than "earlier". Her view of pre-reading instruction including cooking, cleaning, good eating habits, nutrition, ect. Simple and cheap activities. "Real life" methods rather than "school" methods. Whole-to-part lessons. I recommend this book if you're confident to teach more or less without a curriculum.
(i think i've been interrupted at least 6 times while writing this! and i knocked over my glass of wine. and yes, I am aggravated.)

1 comment:

Katy said...

and that glass iof wine would have made up for those six interuptutions.
I would love to read that book. i thought that about Sophia, I ask her what color is this and she still says the wrong color. i remember Nate at around two knowing (whenever he started talking) his colors, being able to count to ten and stuff but the way i see it we all have different callings and gifts. we all have different in how quick or slow we learn. So i come to the conclusion that if she is slower i am going to let her learn what she can at the pace she can but more focus on training her to be a little momma.