"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and in your minds;
tie them as symbols on your hands,
and bind them on your foreheads.
Teach them to your children,
talking about them when you sit at home
and when you walk along the road,
when you lie down and when you get up.
Write them on the door frames of your houses
and on your gates,
so that your days and the days of your
children may be many."

Deuteronomy 11:18-20

Before the children could even understand this scripture, Chap was reading it to them. Eventually they began to understand and even began to quote it. It is the essence of why we homeschool. God tells us to teach them His way at basically ALL times. In order to do that, they need to be near us as much as possible. And by near us I mean, not just sitting in the room with us but engaged with us. Engaged with us where ever we go and whatever we do. Now that's not always possible and I do fall short of it when I'm consumed with domestic duties or visiting with friends; but having them home gives us plenty of time to make up for that. I remember my Mom telling me when I entered school she had the sinking thought "I'm losing her to the world." And basically it was true. Majority of my days were spent influenced by teachers and peers in a very sterile atmosphere. And I was definitely not learning God's way.

Now I realize that is more about character, relationships and eternity rather than academics. I do contemplate sending my kids to a private school at times. This is true. I think about it a lot, especially when I am actually trying to "do school" with them and I don't get the feedback that I expect. But what a great time like that to teach them God's way and how we should all handle those situations. So when I think about sending them to school, I try to ground myself with the above scripture and ask myself "What are we really trying to do here?" With that renewed perspective I can breathe a little easier and carry on.

Comments

Popular Posts